Monday, September 3, 2007

My thoughts on using emergent technologies in the classroom


I think that emergent technologies are needed in today’s classrooms. As a child, I sat in classrooms that were very boring. All my teachers used drill and practice instructional methods. My grade school teachers would always stand in front of the classroom and lecture to me. As a child, I thought it was how the classroom should be run.
Once I graduated from college, I became a mathematics teacher. My thoughts and beliefs on what instructional methods to use in the classroom shifted. I believed it was my duty to make sure my students were engaged in the classroom. My instructional methods had a variety of learning styles. For example, my students would have an opportunity to get on the computer and engage in mathematics games. One of the sites was funbrain.com. There are games for students in grades k-8 in any subject. There is also a section for teachers. I hope you enjoy.

No comments: